Proudly Helping Patients in Vancouver WA | Camas WA | Portland OR
What Is Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, or OMM, is a science-based system of treatment employing hands-on techniques to remove obstructions and dysfunctions throughout the body. Somatic dysfunctions impair the body from healing itself and can be a source of pain. Using well-established, safe and gentle procedures, Dr.Stumpf can safely and electively get your body working better.
What is OMM?
In medicine, “manipulation” is defined as the therapeutic application of manual pressure or force. OMM, also called Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), is a form of manipulation that:
- Is the generic term used to refer to many different manipulation techniques can be used to treat structural and functional issues in the bones, joints, tissues, and muscles of the body
- Uses the relationship between the neuromusculoskeletal system and the rest of the body to restore functionality and/or remove barriers to motion and healing
- Achieves and maintains patient health as part of a whole system of evaluation
What are Some Benefits of OMM?
As one of many tools that DOs can utilize to care for patients, OMM:
- Can be used to treat a wide variety of common ailments, including headaches, arthritis, stress injuries, sports injuries, and pain in areas such as the lower back, neck, shoulders, and knees
- Provides a non-invasive and medication free treatment option for patients
- Can be performed in many different environments
- Training enhances a physician’s overall diagnostic skills
- Can be administered safely in combination with other medical treatments to improve outcomes
Who Uses OMM?
- Only osteopathic physicians are trained and licensed to provide OMM
- OMM is a required and foundational element of osteopathic medical school curricula. Comprehensive OMM training occurs
throughout an osteopathic medical student’s curriculum, as well as during clinical clerkship training
- DO graduates may also choose to pursue residency training to specialize in OMM